A joint piece of work with the Police and Crime Commissioner, Cumbria’s Youth Commission is a chance to shape decisions around policing and crime prevention in Cumbria.
This project is for young people who want to use their voice to make a difference, enjoy learning new skills or those interested in a career in the police force.
What is Cumbria Youth Commission?
The Cumbria Youth Commission was established in April 2017 using funding from the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cumbria,
This project aims to enable young people aged 14-25 to inform decisions about policing and crime prevention in Cumbria, working in partnership with the Police and Crime Commissioner and Cumbria Police to help shape policies and influence decisions that affect you.
The aim of establishing Cumbria Youth Commission is so that the Police and Crime Commissioner can work in partnership with young people to;
- Address the most urgent priorities effecting young people.
- Enhance the county’s response to matters relating to policing and crime and their effects on young people.
- Train peer educators and researchers to provide peer education to young people on the priority areas and to gain their views on the issues.
- Work alongside the Police and Crime Commissioner to help develop the response and approach to young people for the Police and Crime Plan and advise on the commissioning of services aimed at children and young people.
- As much as possible, to bring together learning from existing work within the county on the priority issues to enhance the working knowledge of the Cumbria Youth Commission and avoid duplication.
- To support and challenge the work of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
This is a unique opportunity for you address the issues that are most important to you, whilst producing and developing solutions that will help young people across the county. The commission is open to people from different backgrounds and abilities and the projects really values different views and opinions.
What’s in it for you?
Cumbria Youth Commission is invested in developing you to be a strong youth leader who act as a role model within your community.
In addition to the satisfaction of helping young people from your local area, Cumbria Youth commission will also:
• Help develop your interpersonal skills, research and peer education skills
• Give you access to bespoke training and exciting opportunities
• Give you the opportunity to travel across Cumbria and other parts of the UK
• Be a fantastic addition to your CV